The Art of Bartering

Knowing how to barter is an important lesson learned quickly by traveller, back packer or expat. It can be frustrating at first but the game is simple when you understand it and you must play the game if you want to understand. If you want to try your hand at bartering you must realize that it's all about attitude. If you show any amount of interest in an item, or give it a second glance, you'll be at the mercy of the vendor. You should never look or act excited about the item, even if it's exactly what you were looking for. If the vendor has something that you're looking for, they'll be less likely to part with it at a low price.

You can easily get the vendor down to a low price because they want to make a sale. Realize that the item sold on the street is not good quality (duh) and is probably worth half as much as they say it is. Think of a price you'd like to pay and go even lower. Stick with your initial quote and make them bring the price down to the price you want. Also, if you start to walk away, the vendor sees your money walking away with you.

To demonstrate this proper method, allow me to share with you a conversation I had when buying a pair of "Adidas" flip flops (the following conversation was made in broken English and broken Vietnamese):

-Hello! Come and see!
-No thanks, I don't want.
-Yes, yes. I have your size. Very cheap. (pulling my arm) Come, come.
-Oh, alright! Hmmm... these are OK. Size 11, you have?
-Oh! Very big! I'll check, maybe no have. (two minutes later) Here. Try.
-Yeah, not bad. How much?
-Good price. Three hundred thousand dong ($20)
-Whoa! Expensive! No thanks!
-OK, you say to me how much.
-One hundred thousand ($6).
-I'm sorry, I can't do. I give you for two hundred fifty.
-Too expensive.
-But good quality. Look, Adidas!
-(pointing to the top) Here Adidas, (after turning the shoe over) here Quicksilver!
-OK, OK. You're very handsome, two hundred.
-No. One hundred.
-One hundred eighty.
-I only have one hundred thousand. That's it.
-Sir, please. I can't do. Please. One hundred eighty is lowest.
-Sorry (as I begin to walk away)
-OK, OK. One hundred thousand. Only for you, my friend.
-Thank you very much. I'll take two pairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment